Treating your Pets for Bee Stings

Dogs and cats are curious creatures. Any insect they come in encounter with, they will either try to kill or play with. What happens if your beloved pet gets stung by a bee or wasp? Here are tips for taking care of a bee sting.

Moment of the Sting

dog after bee stingUsually if your dog or cats gets stung, the area will be tender and have swelling. Pets are most commonly stung on the paws or face, and a sting to the nose is going to be more painful for the animal. If the dog or cat was stung inside their mouth, you need to seek the services of a veterinarian as soon as possible. These stings could be very dangerous, and the swelling could block the airway. It is important to act quickly. If only the area that was stung is swollen, it is a localized reaction to the sting. You need to remove the stinger from your pet as quickly as possible, which will prevent the venom from spreading any further. The stinger can release venom into your pet for up to three minutes after being injected.

Do not try to squeeze the stinger out with your fingers. This could cause the venom sac to rupture, which would expose more venom in your pet. The most efficient way to remove a stinger is by scraping it out with a credit card. Keep a close eye on your pet and make sure the swelling does not increase or spread to other areas.

You also need to be aware of the different types of stinging insects. A bee’s stinger is designed to kill the bee after it is injected. However, a wasp can sting multiple times if provoked. If needed, contact a veterinarian. They will most likely advise you to give your pet Benadryl, and the vet will instruct you of the correct dosage based on your pet’s weight. The product must contain diphenhydramine, as anything else could be fatal for your pet.

After the Sting

After you have removed the stinger from your pet, you need to create a remedy to sooth the pain. Applying a mixture of water and baking soda to the affected area can help reduce pain. You should also apply an icepack to the wound so the swelling will go down.

You also need to watch for signs of an allergic reaction. If your pet is having difficulty breathing or the swelling has extended, you need to take your pet to a vet immediately. Also, if your pet was stung multiple times, it will require a trip to the vet.

If you have a bee or wasp problem in your home, you need to get it taken care of as soon as possible. You should avoid the possibility of your pet getting stung at all costs. There is no reason your animal should have to go through that pain. R & C Pest Control can take care of the problem at an affordable cost. The Las Vegas exterminators are dedicated to making your home insect-free. Regardless the size of the infestation, they can handle it. For more information about pest control services, contact 702.257.2847.