It is becoming more and more common for people to try to remove pests from their homes the natural way. Regardless of your reasoning for the choice, here is some additional information on how you can remove ants from your home without the help of dangerous pesticides.
- Dish soap and water: If the ants are already in your home, you want to kill them. Fill a spray bottle with dish soap and water and shake it until it’s mixed. Spray the solution over ants when you see them. They should suffocate instantly. Clean up the ants with a paper towel or a disinfectant wipe. Just remember, this is a temporary fix. You’ll have to figure out where the ants are coming from if you want to stop them for good.
- White vinegar and water: Create a solution of half vinegar and half water and fill a spray bottle with it. Use it in the same way you would use the soapy water solution. If you spray this solution anywhere you see the ants getting in, you can keep them at bay.
- Lemon juice and water: This is a good alternative if you don’t like the smell of vinegar and you want to save your dish soap for your dishes. Make a solution of one part lemon juice and three parts water. Spray it around your home near the windows, doors, and anywhere else you see the ants entering to keep them out.
- Diatomaceous earth (DE): As long as you get the food-grade DE, it is harmless to humans and pets. So, sprinkle a little around your home anywhere you see the ants entering. The little crystals in the DE will cause the bodies of the ants to dry out, resulting in their death. If it is humid inside your home for any reason, the DE will not work.
- Boric acid: This product poisons ants when they eat it. You can find it as a blue or white powder and sprinkle it around your home. It is not technically toxic but it shouldn’t be ingested by humans or pets. To be safe, don’t use it where animals or children commonly play.
The Root of The Problem
No matter how effective you are in getting rid of the ants in your home, it won’t matter without finding where they are coming from. Know what kind of ant you are dealing with so you can know how so solve the problem.
- Black ants – this is the most common form of ant found in most homes. They are small, black and travel in long lines. If you follow the line outside, you’ll probably trace it to a nest nearby that is sheltered on some way.
- House ants – These ants like to build their nests inside the walls and window frames of your home. They also like woodpiles, mulch and rock shelters. You can tell you have this kind of ant because it smells terrible when you crush them.
- Pavement ants – These ants are small, brown and prefer to make their nests inside the cracks of pavement.
- Fire ants – These larger, red-colored ants rarely travel into your home. They can still be frustrating, however, because a nest in your yard will usually keep you from enjoying your backyard space. You can find a fire ant home by looking for a mound that is raised above the ground made of sand.
Once you have found the nest, you can kill them by pouring boiling water into the nest. If that does not work, the problem is more severe that you may realize. Contact the Las Vegas pest control company that has years of experience dealing with ant infestations. For more information about one of the best Las Vegas pest control companies, contact R and C Pest control at 702.257.2847.